So, there are a few things I have been thinking about lately during my transition from 2 kids to 18 3. Little realizations that I have struggled to come to peace with over several weeks.
1) I will never be on time again. Never ever ever. Did I mention never? I am late everywhere. When once I prided myself on my punctuality, I have been unceremoniously thrust into a world where every time I need to leave the house someone needs to be fed/use the potty/a diaper change/to find their shoes/a change of clothes/a juice cup/a snack/insert something here. It wasn't so bad with 2 of them. Both girls were kinda getting to the point where they are self sufficient. Now we have both regressed and added a helpless newborn to the mix. I'm toast.
2) Sleep is a thing of the past. And (hopefully) the far distant future. Really, this one isn't that new. I do remember a time after Bella started sleeping through the night and before Lola was born where I was able to achieve a full night's rest. I'm pretty sure that hasn't happened since. Now not only does Liam wake up 2-3 times a night as those pesky infants are prone to do, but Bella and Lola run a nightly relay race between their rooms and ours--only the baton is substituted by empty juice cups, soggy pants, empty bellies, or monsters under the bed.
And on the subject of sleep....
3) Naptime is no longer a respite, but a cruel 2-3 hour stretch in the day where sleep is dangled carrot-like in front of my face, and my children are the stick that keep it just out of reach. Bella is finally at the age where she has pretty much outgrown her nap. This means that 9 times out of 10 if I want to sleep I have to pray that she will either play quietly in her room for an hour or so, or plop her in front of the TV in my room (praying she doesn't make a colossal mess) and sleep on the couch. On that rare 10th day where she does take a nap, Liam is wide awake as soon as I lay down and snuggle under the covers. Saturdays are blessed days where my angel of a husband deals with naptime torture so I may blissfully sleep with a pillow over my ears.
Which leads me to...
4) Weekends are a Godsend... Having had worked on Saturdays for the last 10 years, I have not known in my married life the joy of a weekend with my husband. Sundays are always chock full of Church, meetings, and visits and doesn't allow for much relaxing together time. Since quitting my job in December--even when I take clients in the morning--we have enjoyed Saturday afternoons as a family. It is blissful to have my hubby home as a co-parent wrangling little ones and usually taking care of all of us. I am finally experiencing the joy that comes with passing "humpday" and eagerly anticipate the arrival of reinforcements come Friday night.
5) Music, and dancing, are good for the soul... On those days where I am certain my children are going to sprout horns, or I am ready to get in the car and drive far, far away, we put on some sweet dancing tunes and groove. It is impossible to stay in a bad mood when singing along to your favorite music. Pandora must have been invented by a stay-at-home Mom. Our favorite thing to do on not-so-happy days, is turn up Pandora, and have a dance party in the living room. It provides endless entertainment for the girls, Liam, and Mommy!
All in all, I feel incredibly blessed. I am so glad Liam is here to complete our family!
Monday, April 11, 2011
Things I have realized as a mother of 3...
Posted by Bob, Meghan, Bella, Lola, and Liam! at 11:44 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
AMEN!!!! and you are doing wonderfully!!!
Post a Comment